- GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS: heartwood light red when freshly cut, becoming red to dark reddish brown, distinct from the light pink to pale brown sapwood. Distinct growth rings, grain straight, texture fine and not distinctive odor and taste.
- DENSITY: heavy wood, with density at 12% moisture content of 1,000 kg/m3 and the green density of 1,260 kg/m3.
- DRYING: kiln-dries rapidly, with moderate tendency for checking, pronounced twisting and medium supping, when submitted to the drying schedule 1.
- WORKABILITY: easy sawing, peeling into veneers, turning, gluing and screwing. Finishes well in turning and boring. Nailing may cause checking. Presence of resin may dull cutters.
- DURABILITY: resistant to very resistant decay fungi and to subterranean termites. (6) Moderately resistant to dry-wood termites. (6) Not resistant to marine borers. (6) Highly resistant to humidity. (22)
- PRESERVATION: heartwood not treatable with CCA-A, even with pressure-vaccum systems.
- USES: civil and naval construction, piers, turnery, boards, musical instruments, flooring, truck bodies and others.