- GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS: slightly distinct heartwood and sapwood light reddish brown. Slightly distinct growth rings, grain interlocked, texture medium, luster lacking and disagreeable odor.
- DENSITY: medium density wood, with density at 12% moisture content of 840 kg/m3 and green density of 1,130 kg/m3.
- DRYING: kiln-dries slowly, with moderate tendency for medium cupping and pronounced twisting, when submitted to the drying schedule 1.
- WORKABILITY: easy to saw, plain, sand, turn and screw. Glues well but is not recommended to make plywood due to log checking. Finishes well with paint, varnish, filer and polishing. Previous boring is advisable before nailing dry wood. (8)
- DURABILITY: laboratory tests report good resistance to decay. (6) Resistant to dry-wood termites and slightly resistant to marine boers. (6)
- PRESERVATION: moderately easy to be preserved with creosote and CCA-A, with pressure-vaccum systems.
- USES: interior and exterior construction, flooring, framing, interior trim, furniture, truck bodies and others. Not recommended for some used dues to the strong odor of the fresh wood. (8)