- GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS: indistinct light gray with a tinge of pink heartwood and sapwood. Slightly distinct growth rings, grain straight or interlocked depending on the species, texture medium and luster lacking.
- DENSITY: light wood, with density at 12% moisture content of 490 kg/m3 and green density of 1,040 kg/m3 for A. spruceanum. Density at 12% moisture content of 510 kg/m3 for A giganteum. (8).
- DRYING: moderately difficult to air-dry, with a tendency to develop defects. (8) Kiln-dries moderately slow with a tendency for checking, cupping and twisting, when submitted to the drying schedule 1.
- WORKABILITY: moderately easy to saw, plane, nail and screw, giving regular finishing. (8)
- DURABILITY: low resistance to fungi, termites and dry-wood insects. (5)
- PRESERVATION: easy to be preserved with pressure-vacuum systems.
- USES: ceiling, plywood, boxes and crates, concrete, frames, toys and others.