- GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS: heartwood dark yellowish brown to orange brown with grayish stripes of parenchyma, distinct from the yellowish white sapwood. Grain straight, texture medium and luster moderate.
- DENSITY: heavy wood, with density at 12% moisture content of 820 kg/m3.
- DRYING: must be carefully carried to avoid checking and warping. (5).
- WORKABILITY: works fairly well with both hand or machine tools, and through it takes nails poorly, it polished very well. (19)
- DURABILITY: highly resistant to decay and moderately resistant to termites. (25)
- PRESERVATION: slightly permeable to preservative solutions with pressure-vacuum systems. (24)
- USES: civil and naval construction, cooperage, railroad crossties, carpentry, cabinet work, beams, veneers, boxes and crates, poles and posts, household utensils and others. (21)