- GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS: heartwood light reddish brown, slightly distinct from the reddish gray sapwood. Distinct growth rings, grain interlocked, texture medium, luster medium and disagreeable odor.
- DENSITY: heavy wood, with density at 12% moisture content of 990 kg/m3 and green density of 1,260 kg/m3.
- DRYING: kiln-dries very rapidly, with a moderate tendency for medium twisting and slight collapse, when submitted to the drying schedule 3.
- WORKABILITY: plane: regular to work, very bad finishing; turn: easy to work, excellent finishing; bore: regular work, regular finishing.
- DURABILITY: very good resistance to fungi and termites and good resistance to dry-wood insects. (5)
- PRESERVATION: heartwood not treatable with creosote and CCA-A, even with pressure-vaccum systems.
- USES: civil and naval construction, railroads, crossties, posts, turnery and others.