- GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS: heartwood brown to reddish brown, slightly distinct from the pale brown sapwood. Distinct growth rings, grain interlocked, texture medium, luster moderate and not distinctive.
- DENSITY: heavy wood, with density at 12% moisture content of 900 kg/m3 and green density of 1,170 kg/m3.
- DRYING: kiln-dries very rapidly, with tendency for pronounced checking, moderate tendency for medium cupping and pronounced twisting, when submitted to the drying schedule 1.
- WORKABILITY: difficult to saw and plane but good to turn, peel into veneer and polishing. It does not finish well in sanding and planing, but it is excellent in turning.
- DURABILITY: resistant to fungi and insects.
- PRESERVATION: moderately easy to be preserved with CCA-A and difficult with oil-born product, even with pressure-vaccum systems.
- USES: civil and naval constructions, flooring, sliced veneers, turnery, furniture components, truck bodies, musical instruments and others.