- GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS: indistinct heartwood and sapwood yellowish white to light yellowish brown. Slightly distinct growth rings, grain straight, texture medium, luster moderate, slight odor and slight bitter taste. (8)
- DENSITY: Light or medium density, according to the species, with density at 12% moisture content of 590 kg/m3 to C. oblongifolia, 610 kg/m3 to C. guianensis and of 770 kg/m3 to C. stellata, and green density of 1,100 kg/m3.
- DRYING: kiln-dries very rapidly and usually without significant defects, when submitted to the drying schedule 3. C. guianensis may present tendency to moderate checking and twisting, when submitted to the drying schedule 1.
- WORKABILITY: easy to work, giving a smooth surface. Glues well. C. stellata is moderately difficult to work.
- DURABILITY: some species are prone to attack by blue-stain fungi and must be used dry and protected from humidity and insects.
- PRESERVATION: very easy to be preserved with creosote and CCA-A, with pressure-vaccum systems.
- USES: civil and naval construction, furniture, decorative articles, household utensils, toys, musical instruments, boxes, crates, packaging, curved pieces, cabinet work, sliced veneers, plywood and others.