- GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS: heartwood brown, light brownish or yellowish brown slightly distinct from the pale yellow sapwood. Distinct and irregular growth rings, grain straight or interlocked, texture fine to medium and luster moderate. Agreeable odor when green, which disappears after drying. (8)
- DENSITY: medium density wood, with density at 12% moisture content of 940 kg/m3 to B. huberi and 840 kg/m3 to B. capitata and green density of 1,250 kg/m3.
- DRYING: kiln-dries rapidly, with tendency for moderate cupping, when submitted to the drying schedule 1.
- WORKABILITY: difficult to saw and plane. Finishing is regular in planing and excellent in sanding, turning and boring.
- DURABILITY: moderately resistant to decay fungi and highly resistant and excellent in sanding, turning and boring.
- PRESERVATION: sapwood moderately easy to be preserved and heartwood not treatable with CCA-A even with pressure-vaccum systems.
- USES: civil construction, flooring, sliced veneers, turnery, tool handles and others.