- GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS: heartwood light brown to pinkish gray distinct from the white sapwood. Tangential figure caused by well demarcated vascular lines and radial figure caused by demarcated vascular lines and rays. Slight distinct growth rings, grain interlocked, texture medium to coarse, luster moderate and not distinctive odor.
- DENSITY: light wood, with density at 12% moisture content of 430 kg/m3 and green density of 1,050 kg/m3.
- DRYING: kiln-dries very rapidly, with a moderate tendency for pronounced twisting and medium cupping and spring, when submitted to the drying schedule 3.
- WORKABILITY: plane: easy to work, bad finishing; sand: easy to work, good finishing.
- DURABILITY: low resistance to fungi, termites and dry-wood insects. (5)
- PRESERVATION: permeable to preservative solutions. (24)
- USES: boatbuilding, furniture, decorative articles, turnery, toys, household utensils, panelling and others.