- GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS: heartwood yellowish red distinct from the yellow sapwood with dark stripes. Slightly distinct growth rings, grain interlocked, texture medium, luster lacking and not distinctive odor.
- DENSITY: heavy wood, with density at 12% moisture content of 1,000 kg/m3 and green density of 1,250 kg/m3.
- DRYING: kiln-dries rapidly, with tendency for pronounced checking and moderate tendency for pronounced twisting, when submitted to the drying schedule 3.
- WORKABILITY: plane: regular to work, bad finishing; sand: regular to work, good finishing; turn: easy to work, regular finishing; bore: regular to work, good finishing.
- DURABILITY: highly resistant to wood-degraders organisms. (24)
- PRESERVATION: sapwood difficult to be preserved with CCA-A and heartwood not treatable with creosote or CCA-A, even with pressure-vaccum systems.
- USES: civil and naval construction, furniture, decorative household articles, toys, musical instruments and others.