- GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS: heartwood pink, slightly distinct from the light gray to pinkish gray sapwood. Distinct growth rings, grain interlocked, texture medium to coarse, luster moderate or lacking, according to the species, and not distinctive odor.
- DENSITY: light wood, with density at 12% moisture content of 600 kg/m3 and green density of 1,140 kg/m3.
- DRYING: kiln-dries rapidly, with a moderate tendency for pronounced twisting and cupping, and slight tendency for slight checking and collapse, when submitted to the drying schedule 1.
- WORKABILITY: plane: easy to work, bad finishing; sand: easy to work, bad finishing; turn: easy to work, good finishing; bore: easy to work, good finishing.
- DURABILITY: variable resistance to decay according to the species. Generally susceptible to fungi and termites and moderately resistant to dry-wood insects.
- PRESERVATION: sapwood very easily preserved with creosote and CCA-A with pressure-vaccum systems.
- USES: civil and naval construction, boatbuilding, furniture, framing, turnery, panelling and others.