- GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS: indistinct heartwood and sapwood grayish white. Slightly demarcated longitudinal bands caused by growth rings. Radial figure caused by demarcated rays. Grains straights, texture medium, luster moderate, not distinctive odor and taste.
- DENSITY: light wood, with density at 12% moisture content of 570 kg/m3 and the green density of 1,030 kg/m3.
- DRYING: air-dries rapidly with defects. Kiln-dries rapidly, with a moderate tendency for slight cupping and twisting, when submitted to the drying schedule 1.
- WORKABILITY: easy to work with hand or machine tools. Tendency to produce fuzzy grain when planing. Gives fair surfaces in other operations. Glues and nails easily. Finishes well.
- DURABILITY: very susceptible to fungi and insects. Must be used in places protected from humidity and insects.
- PRESERVATION: easy to be preserved with creosote and CCA-A with pressure-vaccum systems.
- USES: panelling, boxes and crates, musical instruments, matches and others.