- GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS: indistinct heartwood and sapwood straw-colored. Grain straight, texture medium, luster moderate, not distinctive odor and with a bitter quinine-like taste.
- DENSITY: light wood, with density at 12% moisture content of 440 kg/m3 and the green density of 1,120 kg/m3.
- DRYING: the wood may be air-seasoned if well piled and covered, to avoid checking and warping. Kiln-dries very rapidly, with a slight tendency for medium twisting, when submitted to the drying schedule 4. Kiln-dries rapidly, without defects, when submitted tot he drying schedule 1.
- WORKABILITY: easy to work with hand and machine tools. Finishing is very good in sanding, boring, and planing, but very bad in turning. Turning requires high speed and sharp tools. (3) Logs must be rapidly sawn due to end checking. Glues well.
- DURABILITY: dry wood has great durability for interior works. Prone to blue stain.
- PRESERVATION: very easy to be preserved with pressure-vaccum systems.
- USES: furniture, framing, interior constructions, musical instruments, window sashes, broom handles, matches, plywood, sliced veneers, sabots and others.