- GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS: heartwood yellow when freshly cut darkening to yellowish brown, distinct from the white sapwood. Tangential figure caused by demarcated vascular lines. Radical figure with irregular longitudinal stripes caused by grain. Distinct growth rings. grain straight or interlocked, texture medium, luster moderate, and not distinctive odor and taste.
- DENSITY: medium density wood, with density at 12% moisture content of 700 kg/m3 and the green density of 1,160 kg/m3
- DRYING: air-dries rapidly. Kiln-dries rapidly, with a moderate tendency for a pronounced checking and twisting, when submitted to the drying schedule 1.
- WORKABILITY: plane: regular to work, very bad finishing; sand: easy to work, bad finishing; turn: easy to work, excellent finishing; and bore: easy to work, regular finishing. Glues well.
- DURABILITY: low resistance to fungi and dry-wood termites.
- PRESERVATION: heartwood not treatable with creosote or CCA-A, even with pressure-vaccum systems.
- USES: civil and naval construction, furniture, turnery, flooring, musical instruments, boxes and crates, panelling and others.