- GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS: pale yellow heartwood not distinguishable from the sapwood. Figure with yellowish brown longitudinal lines caused by growth rings. Grain straight or interlocked, texture medium to fine, luster moderate, not distinctive odor and taste.
- DENSITY: heavy wood, with density at 12% moisture content of 930 kg/m3 and the green density of 1,190 kg/m3.
- DRYING: kiln-dries very rapidly, with a slight tendency for medium cupping and pronounced end checking and moderate tendency for medium twisting, when submitted to the drying schedule 4. Slower kiln-drying is advisable to avoid or minimize defects.
- WORKABILITY: plane: regular to work, regular finishing; sand: regular to work, excellent finishing; turn: very easy to work, good finishing. Previous boring is advisable in nailing. Some people can present allergic reactions to its fine dust.
- DURABILITY: low resistance to fungi and termites.
- PRESERVATION: easy to be preserved with creosote and CCA-A, with pressure-vaccum systems.
- USES: furniture, decorative household articles, turnery, sliced veneers, civil construction, parquet flooring, panelling and others.